Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rabbits in Ohio Need Help

I just received this message from an Etsy for Animals member: fashionplatter - Dawn. The rabbits are actually in Ohio, but originally from California. If you or someone you know can help, please send along the info!

----------
As many of you know, five years ago my husband and I built a 1300 sq.
ft. rabbitat to care for a large group of rabbits who had been dumped
in California. Unfortunately, the other night in the ice storm, the
roof collapsed. We were incredibly lucky that only one rabbit was
killed in the disaster (I'd just taken out four fresh bales of hay and
they stopped the beams from hitting the ground -- the one rabbit who
was killed was on a bale of hay). Everyone is safely inside the house
now, but I don't have a long term solution for keeping them here (and
the short term one is about to kill me). I need to find rescues or
homes for some of these guys, desperately. The ideal situation would
be to find a new rabbitat-type-situation for them to go to -- they are
used to having room to run, and being able to live a very rabbity life
(they are, of course, spayed/neutered). But most if not all could be
happy living inside with human friends, too. Some are extremely
friendly.

If rescues could step up and take a group, I'd be eternally grateful
(and the bunnies would too). But I'm also looking for good adoptive
homes. Even temporary fosters would help me out. Please spread the
word. Rabbits make great companions and are not hard to care for --
they can even be litter box trained! Most everyone's life would be
improved by a rabbit.

Feel free to forward this email and ask people to contact me at
dawn.shimp@gmail.com

I've created a Facebook page for the bunnies at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rabbitat-Roof-Collapse-rabbits-in-need-of-homesrescue/199326426747812
As soon as I can I'll be getting them up on Petfinder too, but these
guys literally have me busy around the clock cleaning, feeding,
cleaning again, and exercising them. Please contact me if you are
interested in meeting, or hearing about, some rabbits!

Thanks so much,
Dawn

No comments: